Monday, July 6, 2009

Nickels

Okay, so for those who have been reading the blogs, you might recall I posted a part of a poem that I was working on about loved ones and leaving. Well it's finished, and I must say it feels good every time I finish a poem. I fell a sense of accomplishment in it. And, without further ado, I give to you "Nickels":

If I had a nickel for every time you left,
I would be richer than I need to be
and still broker than I ever wanted to be
because every time you walked out the door,
you took a piece of me with you, a memento
of the tears, and the don't go's that have
the ghosts of my shattered heart playing
hopscotch in my living room...
yet each time you come back, I was there.
waiting for you.
arms wide open;
knowing that one day I'll get crucified again,
but still not caring
sharing hugs and happy times like nothing
ever happened...
but it did...and we know it...
the echoes of void continues to remind me
like white noise that annoys
the noise in my ear whenever I think
that you are still here
and it's only a matter of time before the
ripples catch up to the realization that
this "relationship" is about as unhealthy
as a tapeworm and lingers longer than
bitter fruit and when that day comes, I
will finally be able to look at you and say:
"I love you, but for the sake of peace
speaking for the last piece of me,
the next time you leave, don't return.
because there will be nobody there
to welcome you back."
But until that day comes, I'll still be here
wondering when you'll realize that
your "I love you"s mean less than the letters
that make up the words
that your presence decays the happy from the
home;
that being with you is equivalent to being alone;
and I'm still waiting on the day
when the ripples catch up...
to the reality
that I am no longer in love with you
and I can finally let...
you go...

No comments:

Post a Comment